Monday 29 November 2010

Analysing two competitor magazine covers.


This is the front cover of an issue of The Fly.


I chose The Fly as one of the magazines that would influence me the most as it has the style I'm looking for and the content. I am going to get several ides from this magazine to use when creating my own, but also going to chance a few things for example The Fly is free, mine on the other hand will have a price. I also am planning on linking in fashion to my magazine. From analysing the magazine i can figure out what i want to use in my magazine and what i don't.
Price - Free

First issue - 1999

Circulation - 105,212

Publisher - MAMA group

Editor - Niall Doherty




Magazine cover analysis:

Colours and Font size:

This particular cover has used a bright yellow for the font and then the image is all based on mono colour being blacks and whites. Yellow isn't the coolest of colours often giving off a strange vibe, but used on this magazine they are giving it that edge. Which basically sums up the whole magazine of these artists/bands that have a cool streak but a strange vibe making them individual. The font size is big and bold, nothing complicated. It would grab your eye and draw you inside as you know they are going to give you nothing but the simple facts.

The tone:

The tone set is casual. Its giving you all that you would want to know from the magazine but not overloading you with all the un wanted information. I like the simplicity of the magazine, how they dont need to make it complicated for people to read it, they dont need any extras,

The content:

This is based on genres surrounding gentle rock and indie type of music. With interviews and articles on acts and bands. It has competitions and information on gigs, again no gossip just facts.

The main image:

This is of the band Temper Trap. Them as a boy band are unique and have the casual look going for them, this is represented in the cover for example standing with their hands in there pockets tilting their faces to the camera.

The layout:

Including this one they usually have one dominant image of the main feature in the magazine then simple text giving you a hint of whats inside. This is an idea I like that I'm going to use when it comes to designing my magazine cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment